Just over a month ago we announced pre-sales of the BitBox02 Multi and the BitBox02 Bitcoin-only hardware wallets. Now both devices are ready for shipping and you can order them in our shop and via our resellers around the world.
Today is an exciting day at Shift: we just published a press release to announce the launch of BitBox02 Multi and BitBox02 Bitcoin-only. We have been building our new hardware wallets from the ground up for over a year, and now we are thrilled to share with all of you.
We listened. While rebuilding the BitBox02 we kept in mind all the great feedback from existing BitBox01 (aka Digital Bitbox) users and BitBox02 beta users around the globe. We think we built a strong competitor in the space in terms of both its usability and security advantages. A number of us contribute back to the Bitcoin Core project. So when you asked for a Bitcoin only edition, we delivered. Thank you for your constant support, this milestone is yours as well.
Two devices: BitBox02 Multi and BitBox02 Bitcoin-only
The BitBox02 enables you to independently generate and securely store your private keys to access and transact crypto assets. With two editions, we’re giving you the choice to either maximize your crypto options or to minimize the attack surface when hodling only Bitcoin. BitBox02 Multi natively supports Bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), Ethereum (ETH) and ERC-20 tokens. It can also be used as a second factor authenticator to secure accounts on many websites. The Bitcoin only edition has Bitcoin dedicated firmware and update mechanism to further reduce its attack surface.
The hardware is the same for both devices:
- Portable form factor, discrete appearance, and popular microSD card system for instant and painless setup, backup, and recovery.
- An OLED screen allows you to verify and confirm all transaction details before signing. Invisible touch sensors make navigating the BitBox02 fast and simple.
- The USB-C connector makes the device mobile ready for when we add Android support to our app.
- A dual-chip approach allows the use of a secure chip for device hardening and, importantly, a general microcontroller for keeping the software open source and independently verifiable, as in all of our products.
New features since the beta program of the BitBox02 include:
- Importing or exporting a standardized BIP39 mnemonic seed. We added the ability to both show the BIP39 mnemonic, as well as import a seed from a 12, 18 or 24 word English mnemonic.
- Factory reset the device from the settings page in the BitBox App.
- A “trinary” password input for fast access. Characters display in 3 groups. You choose by tapping the group which then opens up the next option as you can see below.
BitBox App: beta ETH & ERC20 tokens native support and a new look.
All BitBox hardware wallets work with our native BitBox App, the control center that makes everything easy to use.
Our original hardware wallet BitBox01 supports Bitcoin and Litecoin natively in our desktop app. The BitBox02 Multi offers the same and adds support for ETH and ERC20 tokens. Starting today, this feature is available in beta mode and you’ll be able to transact Ether as well as Tether (USDT), Basic Attention Token, Chainlink, Maker, 0x, and Dai to start with. As this feature is in beta, we recommend that you only store small amounts of funds for testing purposes. As always, we welcome your feedback. Please reach out to us at email@example.com with any issues you might encounter and to let us know which other tokens you would like to see added.
This is not all: our BitBox App got a makeover. We especially focused on redesigning the BitBox02 setup wizard to be more straightforward and faster than before.
We plan to do frequent releases with new features. Next on our roadmap is adding an account overview section in the app, as well as release Android support for BitBox02.
Douglas, Jonas and the Shift Team
Don’t own a BitBox yet?
The BitBox02 comes in two editions: the Multi edition that supports multiple crypto assets and can be used as a second-factor authenticator. And the Bitcoin-only edition, which features a radically focused firmware: less code means less attack surface which further improves your security when only storing Bitcoin.
Shift Crypto is a privately held company based in Zurich, Switzerland. Our international team of specialists across engineering, cryptosecurity and Bitcoin core development build the BitBox products and provide consulting services. The BitBox02, a second generation hardware wallet, equips individuals to easily store, protect, and transact cryptocurrencies. Its companion, the BitBoxApp, provides an all-in-one solution to securely manage your digital assets with ease.